Saturday, August 27, 2011

Introduction

So, the holidays are almost over. Monday, September 5th, I'll have my first lecture at 9.00 AM. So goodbye days off and holidays and hello textbooks and lectures! Being a Dutch student, I have to do a minor in the first semester of the third year of my Bachelor. It might seem easy to choose one, but it isn't. Sure, some courses require their students to do the in-depth minor of the course and then there's not much to choose, but most courses (at least, at the University of Groningen) allow you to broaden your horizon by offering you the possibility to take classes in another course or even another faculty. 

Now, as with studies, there are many minors to choose from and each one seems more interesting than the one before, or so I felt when I had to choose. I had already taken the easy way by having chosen the in-depth minor of Educational Sciences, but then there was an announcement on the website of our faculty about a minor in Sociological Research. I skimmed the text quickly and saw that all students with a propaedeutic certificate from our faculty were eligible. Since I wish to apply for the Research Master of our faculty after having obtained my Bachelor's degree, I thought that a few extra Statistics-related lessons could be handy.

This minor also allows me to consider whether or not I really want to take so many Statistics and Methodology subjects during my Master and whether or not I can do it. Ambition is one thing, ability is another and in certain balances they can bring wonderful results. Either way, I'll have to take my Statistics book from the shelves and review it when I have time left to be prepared for subjects like Advanced Statistics and Model Building. Other subjects I'll have are Research Practical, Text Analysis for Social Sciences, Behavioural Theories of Sociology and EU Decision Making. All in all, it's not just about numbers and funny calculating signs, but also some actual Sociology-related subjects, which sound really interesting to my knowledge-thirsty brain :) 

I've already seen my timetable, which looks manageable. I've already put it in my diary and next week it's time for me to get some sort of notebook, the textbooks and syllabi and maybe some other useful things. I like to be prepared for the new year in college and I'm looking forward. If fate doesn't mess with me too badly, I'll actually have a title by the end of this year and the subjects I'm going to have make my heart beat just a tad faster, which I think is a good sign. I'll soon put up some more general and universal posts =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment